News story by Carrie Morgan, Head Librarian at Moriarty Library
Lesley University’s new art library – now formally named the John & Carol Moriarty Library – opened for service the week of February 16. The beautiful new space has proven to be a community favorite with its elegant pairing of 19th century Greek Revival style and contemporary sensibilities and materials suited to a creative community. The Library is part of the larger Lunder Arts Center and connects to a new four-story studio building by a glass-walled commons. A grand opening celebration of the Center occurred on April 10-11.
The Moriarty Library occupies two levels in the former North Prospect Church, which was purchased by Lesley University in 2006. Built in Harvard Square in 1845, the structure has moved twice; first to Porter Square in 1867 and then south on its parcel this past December. It features restored clapboard cladding, as well as stained glass windows that the University will restore over time. The new facility increases the total square footage of the former AIB / LUCAD Library at Kenmore Square fourfold (to just over 5,000 sq ft) resulting in more computer workstations, more and varied seating / study spaces, and a larger Information Services desk. Additional upgrades include an overhead book scanner, a large format scanner and color copiers; a space for small group library instruction; large TV screens for communications, marketing, teaching, presentations, and other special projects; and a second small group study room.
The Moriarty Library supports the teaching, curriculum, and creative inquiry of students and faculty in the College of Art and Design and other integrated arts programs at Lesley University with specialized collections and services. The facility welcomes members of the FLO community and the general public to visit!
For more information about the Lunder Arts Center, visit:
For more information about the Moriarty Library, visit: